Numerous activities will be held in Marin County in conjunction with and recognition of the Fifth Annual California Native Plant Week (CNPW) – April 11-19. The Marin Chapter of CNPS is involved with and sponsoring many of these. More information is being posted on this website as events are finalized, so please check back periodically.
In September 2010, the California State Assembly and Senate established California Native Plant Week as the 3rd week of April each year The desire is to encourage community groups, schools, and citizens to undertake appropriate activities to promote the conservation, restoration, and appreciation of California’s native plants.
The Marin Chapter of the California Native Plant Society is sponsoring and supporting a variety of events for California Native Plant Week, April 11 through 19. These include a native plant sale, volunteering opportunities, hikes, workshops, presentations (including the Chapter meeting), tours, and a one-day event to celebrate California’s oak woodlands. Events are listed below by type of event and by date (List by date and List by event type). This website’s Events Calendar also lists the events.
Click on the image on the left for a letter-sized brochure:
Also listed here is information about Native Plant Week along with a way to find out about events elsewhere in California.
Come back here periodically to find out more!
Some events require pre-registration and there is a fee associated with some events; this is explained here.
Events listed by type (the date for each event is a link for more detail):
- Native Plant Sale (April 11)
- Hikes: Mt. Burdell (April 12), Rock Spring (April 13), Mt. Burdell (April 14), Pine Point (April 16), and Bull Point (April 16 )
- Presentations: Pollination of CA Natives (Chapter Meeting; April 13) and Manzanita and Buckeye (April 17)
- Tours: Hamilton Wetlands(#) (April 15), Larner Seeds (April 19)
- Workshops: Drawing wildflowers(*$) (April 14)
- Volunteering opportunities: S. P. Taylor State Park (April 12), Hamilton Wetlands(#) (April 15), and Pt. Reyes (April 16)
- Celebrate California’s Oak Woodlands(#$) (April 18)
Events listed by date (the event name is a link for more detail):
- April 11: Native Plant Sale
- April 12: Volunteering at Samuel P. Taylor State Park
- April 12: Mt. Burdell Hike
- April 13: Rock Spring Hike
- April 13: Chapter Meeting & Presentation: “Pollination of California Natives”
- April 14: Drawing Wildflowers Workshops (*$)
- April 14: Mt. Burdell Hike
- April 15: Hamilton Wetlands Tour (#)
- April 15: Volunteering at Hamilton Wetlands Nursery (#)
- April 16: Volunteering at Point Reyes
- April 16: Pine Point Hike
- April 16: Bull Point Hike
- April 17: Presentation: “Manzanita and Buckeye”
- April 18: Celebrate California’s Oak Woodlands (#$)
- April 19: Larner Seeds Open House and Tours
- *$ – There is no fee but a donation is requested
- # – Pre-registration is required
- #$ – Preregistration is reuired and there is a mandatory fee
California Native Plant Week is the 3rd week of April each year. For a list of events throughout the state, see here.
In September 2010, the California State Assembly and Senate approved a resolution establishing California Native Plant Week as the 3rd week of April each year; you can see more state-wide information at this page on the state organization’s website (inlcuding information about the legislature’s resolution).